The McAdory Plantation House was built around 1840 on an estate of about 2,000 acres by Thomas McAdory, Jr. The pioneer architect constructed the dog-trot style house from numbered hand-hewn logs and wooden pegs. Descendants of the builder who were born in the home included Robert McAdory, who became the first mayor of the City of Bessemer, and Dr. Thomas M. Owen, who was one of the founders of the Alabama State Archives and Department of History, the first state archives in the United States.
Currently the McAdory ‘Boys Cabin’ is being returned to its original appearance by the Society. The separate structure was built as additional rooms for the McAdory family’s boys in the nineteenth century. Later, in the twentieth century, it was modified to be a rental structure with an updated appearance.
The main McAdory structure was donated to the Society by McAdory family members in the 1970’s. The Boys Cabin was donated in the late 1990’s by the same family.
Also, interestingly, the site is bordered on two sides by the smallest Federal Wildlife Preserve in the United States.
McAdory House - National Historic Registry Marker